Planning for Retirement

Retirement Checklist

The following information will ensure an efficient retirement. You should begin this process at least sixty (60) days prior to your retirement

Contact your payroll clerk and request a Separation & Clearance form.

Supply your payroll clerk with the following:

  • resignation and/or retirement date
  • letter of resignation and/or retirement addressed to the Fire or Police Chief

Schedule an appointment with an El Paso Firemen & Policemen's Pension Fund Benefits Specialist.

Bring the following documents to your meeting with the Benefits Specialist:

  • Separation & Clearance form received from your payroll clerk
  • if married,
    • Marriage License or Certificate
    • spouse’s government issued identification (Driver’s License, Passport, or other State ID)
    • spouse’s Social Security Card
  • if divorced, Divorce Decree/QDRO (if applicable)
  • Birth Certificates and Social Security Cards for:
    • minor dependent unmarried children (under 19 years of age)
    • qualified dependent unmarried children between ages 19 and 23 attending school full time (you must be able to provide documentation proving full time student status)
    • dependent unmarried children with a disability (physical/mental) (you must provide medical records supporting the disability)
  • IRS Levy Notices (if applicable)
  • Death Certificate (if applicable)

Review your beneficiary information on file with the El Paso Firemen & Policemen's Pension Fund.

Contact the City Insurance & Benefits Division at (915) 212-1275 regarding your election to retain or terminate the City’s health coverage (medical, dental, or vision).

If you are an employee of the Fire Department and have union life insurance ($20,000 coverage), and wish to continue coverage, contact the Fire Association by calling (915) 598 8117 or by emailing This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Important if you are retiring with the Forward Deferred Retirement Option Program (Forward DROP), please consult a Financial Advisor regarding tax and rollover information (if rolling funds, the retirement office has a form that you and your financial institution must complete).